I finished February’s work on my software development notes. Despite a late start and general laziness, I think the project went decently well. Here’s the project in its current state. I’m taking the Zettelkasten approach of treating the content as a flat list of entries that I organize in a separate document (in this case, the main project page). I’ll probably make this the default way of organizing my projects.
The purpose of February’s sprint changed as it progressed. I wanted to come up with a basic procedure for my programming projects, but that ended up being too ambitious for the way the project was going. Instead I set up buckets to drop my future software development notes into. My plan is to do a lot of that work incidentally as I do my other programming projects.
In related reading, I finished IEEE’s Guide to the Software Engineering Body of Knowledge (SWEBOK). I give it 4/5. It’s important and fairly comprehensive. But I have problems with the organization, which is most of the reason I was reading it.
After SWEBOK I started Release It!, a poorly named but respected book on designing your web app to survive in the wild.
Coding project generator
My next programming project will be for Thinkulum March, which starts this week. It’s a continuation of the project generating program I started writing a couple of years ago. It creates boilerplate code to kick off a programming project. This month I’m going to try to get it to version 1.0. This week is the initial planning and exploration phase.